A block from Campus Martius Park, the lowrise at 630 Woodward Ave. was designed by architect Richard Raseman and built in 1880 for Mabley’s department store. In 1898, the four-story, brick building was renovated into the Metropole Hotel. The top three floors were vacant by 1970 (leaving just the first-floor Bangkok Crossing restaurant), and the structure was purchased by Bedrock in 2013. In 2017, architecture firm Neumann Smith transformed the property into the Bedrock Headquarters for the real-estate company’s main offices – including an accentuated atrium and a secret speakeasy – and street-level retail space. The design details celebrate Detroit’s history, from color schemes reflecting the lumber industry’s “green gold” to stairway rails resembling the Ford Model T’s windshield.
- Size: 26,000 sq. ft.
- Usage: Office, retail